My little inch worm (and hockey)

November 14, 2007

This pregnancy, I decided to get weekly updates in my email that tell me just where I’m at and how my baby has developed.  It helps to see drawings and read the updates since I’m not looking pregnant yet and can’t feel the baby move yet either.  This week – week ten – my baby is just over an inch long.  Before this week, the baby’s length was always described in terms of some sort of seed or bean (poppy seed, mustard seed, sesame seed, kidney bean, lima bean, etc).  Finally, week ten comes along and they just say it’s over an inch.  It also enters the fetal stage of growth this week (although that part has never mattered much to me – it’s a baby from day one in my mind). 

The new trend in my mommy feelings seems to be evening sickness.  I’m not too bad the rest of the day as long as I keep eating and don’t overdo it, but for some reason, I’ve been sick to my stomach every night after supper for the last few days.  On Sunday night, I was sure I could throw up, but decided that sleeping was a better idea, so I just went to bed.  Last night, we had a family favourite, lentil soup, for supper, and sure enough, it made me feel sick, too.  I get the feeling that garlic is at fault some of the time, because I tend to eat lots of it, sometimes unintentionally.  Today I feel like making cookies, but then when I think about eating them, I don’t feel so good.  Since I don’t like to make cookies if I don’t at least get a few of them, I think maybe I’ll skip it for today. 

‘Tis the season for hockey here in the north – Mike had a 10:15 game on Sunday night and last night, he had a 10:45 game – which makes for a very, very late night (for him).  I went to bed before he left and slept through most of his coming home and whatever he did for the three hours I estimate he was up after he got home.  The last time I remember looking at the clock, it was almost three in the morning and he still wasn’t in bed.  When he came to bed, I asked him what time it was and all he said was, “Late.”  Maybe if I ask him today, he’ll tell me what the time actually was.  I’m guessing he didn’t get much sleep last night, anyway. 

When we were newleyweds, I went to all his hockey games (although he never had really late ones except during tournaments).  When I was pregnant with our daughter, I went to all of his games.  For the whole season of hockey from the time Jenny was three months old until she was nine months old, I went to every game.  And then I had Elias and Jenny was a toddler and after the first late game I took both kids to, I told Mike I would go to his early games (church hockey on Sunday nights at 8:45 and other games if they’re before 9:00) but none of his late games.  It is just too late for the kids to be out.  They could stand being up at their grandparents until eleven o’clock, but not at hockey.  This Friday, we’ll go to a game at 8:15 (Mike’s playing for his dad’s team) and then probably come home while Mike stays to play his rec. game after that one.  I fully encourage him to play, but I don’t let anyone give me grief about not making all of his games.  I have two small children who get grouchier as the night wears on and a baby in my belly that makes me pretty tired most of the time – I need my sleep.  The best thing is when Mike plays a late game and we get the kids down before he has to leave.  Then I can take my time doing what I need to do before I go to bed and get to bed a whole lot earlier than Mike does.  With the kids sleeping in until ten in the morning, I can get twelve hours if I go to bed by ten, so I try to do it as often as possible.

A bit off topic, I suppose, but winter and hockey go hand in hand in our family.  Mike’s sister plays hockey, both our brothers-in-law play hockey and my father-in-law plays hockey.  They all play on the church team together, Mike and our brothers-in-law play on a rec. team together, his sister plays on a women’s team and his dad plays on another rec. team.  When April comes along with the end of the season, I’m usually a bit relieved, but by September, I’m ready to watch my man on the ice again.  I will say that I’m very glad to be having this baby a few months after hockey is over.  When I was pregnant with Elias, his due date was a week or two into hockey season (turns out he was born before it ever started, though).  This baby will get to grow up a couple of months before we ever take it to a hockey game; and there won’t be any risk of going into labour at the arena or anything. 

I guess I should be grateful for the time I have now – there will come a day when it won’t be only my husband playing hockey, but my children.  If Mike has it his way, all of his kids will play hockey, and although I wouldn’t mind if they did, I can’t imagine that they all will.  However, someday I won’t just be a hockey wife, I’ll be a hockey mom – flinching every time my kid gets knocked down or gets hit with a puck or a stick.  And it won’t be so easy to miss their games when they’re young, although fortunately, kids don’t play hockey as close to midnight as their dads often do.

So, I’ll try to enjoy the time that my little inch worm is still safely encased in my womb, because one day, he or she may very likely have a stick in their hands and skates on their feet.  And when Jenny cheers for her daddy, I’ll cheer along with her, because one day, she may be too cool to come to her dad’s hockey games.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: